Refurbish Dead Engines With Plasma - 2020 Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Garcia

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Moo

Refurbish Dead Engines With Plasma

Found this on GizMag, not sure if it's actually a process available for use yet on every engine model but Ford does have a way to renew old worn out engines. The process basically applies a coat of paint made out of metallic materials onto the engine block, bringing it back to it's original condition. A worn out engine will have scratched and uneven surfaces and the paint will fill in those corroded areas thus smoothing it out again.

Ford has tested this process on diesel engines like the Caterpillar so maybe we'll see this option available in the future for all engines, extending the life of Broncos old and new.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:50 PM

Maybe, I just wonder who the intended audience is for this. Most people don't even get close to killing an engine... I'm betting this is aimed at competition. Their race teams for example... not sure though

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 02:49 PM

There's always those who keep their vehicles for a long time. I still have my car from 2005(somewhere around there) and that would save me a lot of money in buying a new car if I can just refurbish my engine for a lower cost than buying a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingBronco View Post
There's always those who keep their vehicles for a long time. I still have my car from 2005(somewhere around there) and that would save me a lot of money in buying a new car if I can just refurbish my engine for a lower cost than buying a new one.
Ok, but just because you refurb the engine doesn't mean the rest of the car is now better somehow.

And even so, at the point where the engine is a goner, the rest of the vehicle is typically in that state as well. Unless agian, the engine is some kind of competition engine where it gets run hard day in and day out.

Oh and BTW they never said it's CHEAPER. They said there are less emissions involved...

Tom likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Ok, but just because you refurb the engine doesn't mean the rest of the car is now better somehow.

And even so, at the point where the engine is a goner, the rest of the vehicle is typically in that state as well. Unless agian, the engine is some kind of competition engine where it gets run hard day in and day out.

Oh and BTW they never said it's CHEAPER. They said there are less emissions involved...
One thing that plays into an engine running into that state is lack of maintenance or just overall neglect. I'd hate to know what condition the rest of the components are in
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:18 PM

Also note that the work with Caterpillar was on HEAVY machinery... yes cost to replace a V200 with 8 turbos that powers a sub arctic research station is prohibitive, so refurbing with plasma makes sense.

But when were talking about small scale vehicles that are never abused in the ways Caterpillar heavy machinery is we get to a conversation that really has no point.

As for the argument that its cheaper then buying a new car... is it cheaper then buying a used car?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Moo

Is it cheaper than buying a used car? Most likely not. Maybe it'll advance to the point where it's a better economic choice but for now it's interesting to read about. Could the method extend to other car parts too instead of being limited to engines?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Is it cheaper than buying a used car? Most likely not. Maybe it'll advance to the point where it's a better economic choice but for now it's interesting to read about. Could the method extend to other car parts too instead of being limited to engines?
probably not, mild surface scoring on a suspension A-arm is irrelevant to performance like scoring on the surface of cylinder walls would be...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page