Ford Partners with Amazon to Help Realize the Internet of Things - 2020 Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Ford Partners with Amazon to Help Realize the Internet of Things

At CES, Ford announced that it will partner with Amazon in a project that helps to progress towards the Internet of Things. The next-generation of Ford's Sync Connect systems will allow a wireless connection to your phone, the internet, and other things within your car. You will be able to control things like your garage door, home thermosat and lighting, or coffee pot. That control can be done through touch or voice command.

There will also be new phone connectivity to your car. One such feature that stems from that is being able to check your car's fuel levels directly from your phone, and programming a set time for your car to start up.

From USA Today, here's Ford CEO Mark Fields:

“We are working to see if we can come up with a product that we can commercialize,” said Fields. He continued, “The key is finding the right software protocols, so that the integrations with Amazon Echo and Alexa works. We’ll aim to bring it to market as soon as possible.”

Basically your phone and your car will connect to everything. All things will merge. We are approaching the singularity.

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag View Post
At CES, Ford announced that it will partner with Amazon in a project that helps to progress towards the Internet of Things. The next-generation of Ford's Sync Connect systems will allow a wireless connection to your phone, the internet, and other things within your car. You will be able to control things like your garage door, home thermosat and lighting, or coffee pot. That control can be done through touch or voice command.

There will also be new phone connectivity to your car. One such feature that stems from that is being able to check your car's fuel levels directly from your phone, and programming a set time for your car to start up.

From USA Today, here's Ford CEO Mark Fields:

“We are working to see if we can come up with a product that we can commercialize,” said Fields. He continued, “The key is finding the right software protocols, so that the integrations with Amazon Echo and Alexa works. We’ll aim to bring it to market as soon as possible.”

Basically your phone and your car will connect to everything. All things will merge. We are approaching the singularity.
no were not, you have a choice. IF you choose to opt out who can force you. If you feel that you need your fridge to be able to talk to the turbo in your car then you probably deserve to be gobbled up by the machines.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:00 AM

I wouldn't want to be connected to everything in my house along with my car. Too many things can go wrong with that along with programming weaknesses that hackers can exploit. We're already having problems with the current technology's security.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingBronco View Post
I wouldn't want to be connected to everything in my house along with my car. Too many things can go wrong with that along with programming weaknesses that hackers can exploit. We're already having problems with the current technology's security.
well seriously. At what point is it necessary for your fridge to have access to the internet, or your coffee maker... it's absurd...

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Moo

Who is in their test group for ideas like this? It must of stemmed from somewhere but I can't imagine someone "yes, I would like to turn on my coffee maker from my office".
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Who is in their test group for ideas like this? It must of stemmed from somewhere but I can't imagine someone "yes, I would like to turn on my coffee maker from my office".
themselves. its mercantilism essentially. "we tell the market what they want"

essentially they're counting on its bling factor and novelty factor to be large enough that you forget its pretty useless in application.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes people don't know they want things until you suggest it to them. Once they know it exists, then they want it.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Moo

We now know it exists and we still don't want it. And it'll require you to upgrade your appliances to make them compatible with your car.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag View Post
Sometimes people don't know they want things until you suggest it to them. Once they know it exists, then they want it.
That's because not everyone has an imagination, but if you make the case for what they can use and need, they'll get it, like what any great sales person can accomplish.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 09:46 AM

I see where this is going, Ford can install this in their cars and Amazon will be the only supplier of compatible products for the system.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page