Ford Partners with Amazon to Help Realize the Internet of Things - 2020 Ford Bronco Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 70
Ford Partners with Amazon to Help Realize the Internet of Things

At CES, Ford announced that it will partner with Amazon in a project that helps to progress towards the Internet of Things. The next-generation of Ford's Sync Connect systems will allow a wireless connection to your phone, the internet, and other things within your car. You will be able to control things like your garage door, home thermosat and lighting, or coffee pot. That control can be done through touch or voice command.

There will also be new phone connectivity to your car. One such feature that stems from that is being able to check your car's fuel levels directly from your phone, and programming a set time for your car to start up.

From USA Today, here's Ford CEO Mark Fields:

“We are working to see if we can come up with a product that we can commercialize,” said Fields. He continued, “The key is finding the right software protocols, so that the integrations with Amazon Echo and Alexa works. We’ll aim to bring it to market as soon as possible.”

Basically your phone and your car will connect to everything. All things will merge. We are approaching the singularity.



Stag is offline  
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag View Post
At CES, Ford announced that it will partner with Amazon in a project that helps to progress towards the Internet of Things. The next-generation of Ford's Sync Connect systems will allow a wireless connection to your phone, the internet, and other things within your car. You will be able to control things like your garage door, home thermosat and lighting, or coffee pot. That control can be done through touch or voice command.

There will also be new phone connectivity to your car. One such feature that stems from that is being able to check your car's fuel levels directly from your phone, and programming a set time for your car to start up.

From USA Today, here's Ford CEO Mark Fields:

“We are working to see if we can come up with a product that we can commercialize,” said Fields. He continued, “The key is finding the right software protocols, so that the integrations with Amazon Echo and Alexa works. We’ll aim to bring it to market as soon as possible.”

Basically your phone and your car will connect to everything. All things will merge. We are approaching the singularity.
no were not, you have a choice. IF you choose to opt out who can force you. If you feel that you need your fridge to be able to talk to the turbo in your car then you probably deserve to be gobbled up by the machines.



Garcia is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 232
I wouldn't want to be connected to everything in my house along with my car. Too many things can go wrong with that along with programming weaknesses that hackers can exploit. We're already having problems with the current technology's security.
BuckingBronco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingBronco View Post
I wouldn't want to be connected to everything in my house along with my car. Too many things can go wrong with that along with programming weaknesses that hackers can exploit. We're already having problems with the current technology's security.
well seriously. At what point is it necessary for your fridge to have access to the internet, or your coffee maker... it's absurd...



Garcia is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Moo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 260
Who is in their test group for ideas like this? It must of stemmed from somewhere but I can't imagine someone "yes, I would like to turn on my coffee maker from my office".
Moo is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Who is in their test group for ideas like this? It must of stemmed from somewhere but I can't imagine someone "yes, I would like to turn on my coffee maker from my office".
themselves. its mercantilism essentially. "we tell the market what they want"

essentially they're counting on its bling factor and novelty factor to be large enough that you forget its pretty useless in application.



Garcia is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 70
Sometimes people don't know they want things until you suggest it to them. Once they know it exists, then they want it.



Stag is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Moo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 260
We now know it exists and we still don't want it. And it'll require you to upgrade your appliances to make them compatible with your car.
Moo is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag View Post
Sometimes people don't know they want things until you suggest it to them. Once they know it exists, then they want it.
That's because not everyone has an imagination, but if you make the case for what they can use and need, they'll get it, like what any great sales person can accomplish.
Tom is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 232
I see where this is going, Ford can install this in their cars and Amazon will be the only supplier of compatible products for the system.
BuckingBronco is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome