Ford Partners with Amazon to Help Realize the Internet of Things - Page 2 - 2020 Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
We now know it exists and we still don't want it. And it'll require you to upgrade your appliances to make them compatible with your car.
I think with these technologies there are certain people who want them right away, and then everyone else slowly comes around to getting them. Think of the iPhone, and later the iPad. At first it was this thing that was for techy people, and then fast forward and almost everyone has one.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 AM
Tom

It's all about making the case for having the product and making a product that serves a current need or future need in the market. as long as they do that it will always take off at some point.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

There are some things that don't catch on, like Google Glass or the Segway, but the Internet of things seems inevitable. It's already starting to happen and Amazon seems to be on the forefront. I mean they already can deliver everything in an extremely short period. No other company comes close.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 AM

It's going to be a niche product. The Segway never really caught on but some people still have one. The same is going to apply for this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

I mean I don't see a fridge that tells you when you are running out of milk being a modern necessity in the future. How hard is it to know the milk has run out once you throw the old one in the garbage?

I do think your car will be connected to more stuff of information that will let you control some things from the car which you would now use your phone for, or maybe you'd actually have to be at home.

It's a smart move by Ford and it will be interesting to see how quickly this type of technology proliferates.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:55 AM
Tom

People want that level of efficiency these days and bottom line is it will work. Plus it's not just that, although its a big part, but it's also what goes on in the boardroom this was decided on and the minds that were in there, and being something that doesn't cost much to get into, there's little to no risk compared to what car makers typically deal with.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Moo

Well, CES is here and Ford said they'll start rolling out Alexa integration in two phases. The first phase will available later this month and connect you to the car from your house. The second phase lets you voice command Alexa whilst driving.

Only feature I could see myself using is remote start, but that's already a thing.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 PM

Of course this all ties in and gives momentum to the self-driving car - the direction the whole car industry is pursuing. And that is fine for those who would rather have a computer drive them places so that they can text or play games on their phones - and it will be safer since all the distracted drivers will now not be doing the driving. But I just happen to enjoy the me-driving car - especially a sports car or a SUV with a manual transmission so that I am more connected to the car and total driving experience. My only distraction may be some nice countryside to look at while driving through it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page