Ford Models Will Feature Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in 2017 Model Year Vehicles - 2020 Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Ford Models Will Feature Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in 2017 Model Year Vehicles

By the time the Ford Bronco comes out all Ford vehicles will come equipped with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay as a part of Ford's Sync 3 infotainment system. The first Ford vehicle to see the two interfaces will be the Escape, which is to be released this spring.

Owners of 2016 model year vehicles will be able to get Android Auto through an update that will take place overnight as long as the owners have their car connected to home Wi-Fi. CarPlay will require those owners to visit a dealer for a hardware upgrade.

Expect even more substantial announcements about Ford technology during CES this week.

Ford SYNC 3 to Get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay for 2017 Model Year

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Moo

Android Auto and CarPlay is going to be the standard in the future so Ford will have to upgrade their system to be competitive in the future. They're also going to add in their own smartphone integration system with it's own apps so owners can start their vehicles and locate the car via their mobiles.

Not sure if the Tencent Chelian app for the Chinese market is a good idea. Feels like operating it while driving is going to cause a lot of accidents.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

I'm not entirely sure of what the app is, but I would assume they put safeties on it so that you can't use it while driving. Maybe the whole thing is voice based. I don't know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Moo

Read somewhere that it has voice control capabilities too. Makes sense.
We'll have to wait and see how compatible their own software is with the Andriod operating system and iOS updates. Or do these things not matter all that much?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Read somewhere that it has voice control capabilities too. Makes sense.
We'll have to wait and see how compatible their own software is with the Andriod operating system and iOS updates. Or do these things not matter all that much?
Eventually they should be able to make it even more interactive, gesture controls might be one of them, it's the latest in tech to control infotainment systems. Just have to wait for the trickle down.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I saw those gestures on a recent concept. I think it was BMW. Or perhaps Lexus.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:51 AM

I actually think gesture control is a lot better than touch screens once they've perfected it but is Ford actually going in that direction too? Think only BMW has it so far from what I've seen.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Tom

Hyundai was another one, I remember seeing them show off some premium concept (genesis) that had this tech.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 AM

Still think voice command is the safest option since no hand movement is needed.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Tom

It is. Part of the conditioning process though could be to enable hand movement when the vehicle isn't in motion or just in ways that doesn't take away from the drivers attention on the road.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page