Could Bronco 6G Come With Heated Features? - Page 2 - 2020 Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Moo

Was just reading up on warming up the car's engine and found a video of an engineer explaining why you don't really need to warm up the car. So I just need something to keep myself warm on cold days instead of the car's engine.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Tom

When it comes to letting it run for 5-10 minutes, that I don't understand, but letting it run for a few minutes is usually enough regardless of what you drive. My objective in that is to get the fluids flowing, then going off what I heard and feel from the car.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:06 PM

It's pretty much common knowledge and things like these have gotten blown out of proportion. Cold weather, oil gets thicker, more strain on components when hitting higher engine speeds. If you operate the vehicle properly whilst it's cold, you won't run into issues. Let it circulate for a few minutes, take it out and drive it very moderately until it reaches operating temperatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Moo

Most of my morning commute when it gets cold is at slow speeds with a maximum of around 60km/h and I'm generally gentle on the pedal at first. Don't really need to warm up a new car for fluid circulation in my case, but I will wait a while for the cabin to warm up which isn't good according to him.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:12 PM

Speed wise isn't as much of a factor as how you get to that speed. You'll essentially want to hyper mile until it warms up. Keeping the rpms low is the key thing in all of this. Now.. in regards to all of this, I haven't personally experienced any issues with letting your car sit and idle. I've done it on many occasions where I ran outside, started the car, let it run for 15-20 minutes as I got sidetracked while inside of my house on many of my vehicles. A lot of people I know do this on a daily basis.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Moo

I'm guessing there really isn't a right way to heat up a car's engine and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with letting it idle a bit. Let's hope Ford gives us the heated mirrors and windshield wiper de-icer. Frozen mirrors aren't fun and sometimes you don't want to hack to the ice too hard.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:44 PM

Lol precisely. Something that's been over-thunk for no reason is all it is. Do it however you feel fit and whichever works out better for you.

The heated wipers is a great idea though. Makes like much easier. Although you don't really have to do much but knock them off. Essentially though, when the rubber from the wiper blade is warmer, it performs a lot better as well.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Moo

It's the side mirrors too, mine were a pain to defrost after a day of being pelted by frozen rain. It was so thick and I didn't want to hit the ice there too hard in fear of damaging something. Essentials like that would be great as standard, maybe even heated windows for the driver and front passenger side.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
Lol precisely. Something that's been over-thunk for no reason is all it is. Do it however you feel fit and whichever works out better for you.

The heated wipers is a great idea though. Makes like much easier. Although you don't really have to do much but knock them off. Essentially though, when the rubber from the wiper blade is warmer, it performs a lot better as well.
Well, one way to look at it is, this stuff applies to people with little experience. Some who has been an owner for a couple years putting on the average mileage during all 4 seasons should have a feel for how things work by now.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 AM

The windows could suffice off of vents on the door panels or edges of the dash. Side mirrors can definitely be a pain, can't say I've never been put into that situation before. Aside from that, I can't really think of other "standard winter essentials" for the list?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page