What Makes The Ford Bronco So Cool - 2020 Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

What Makes The Ford Bronco So Cool

Here's an article from popularmechanics.com titled "What makes the Ford Bronco so badass" and it really is a good read. Provides information that some may not know of the history of the Bronco, some words from Jonathan Ward, and Ford VP Moray Callum. There's even a copy of the 1966 Ford Bronco Commercial posted.

Check it out here: What Makes the Ford Bronco So Badass?

Quote:
"I think there is a nice simplicity to the design—there's nothing frivolous about it," says Ford's vice president of design Moray Callum, who also owns a 1976 Bronco. "There's a friendliness to the Bronco that I think people are attracted to."
Quote:
"The CJ's ergonomics are limiting," says Ward. "It's difficult to climb into and it's very small once inside."
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Moo

The old broncos rode on a a 92-inch wheelbase which makes them a foot longer than the Jeep. That'll allow the bronco to handle a higher payload and fit more people/cargo. I'm expecting the new Bronco to be longer than the four door Jeep Wrangler if history is to repeat itself.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Tom

Ford following that path of a longer wheelbase will go a long way in appealing to a wider market since now it might mean seating 2 adults comfortable in the back instead of it being entirely impractical. I keep using the FJ Cruiser as an example but its very much in line with what Ford wants to do:

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM

That's the thing, we really don't have many other options of comparison to use in regards to this special segment. We have the Wrangler, FJ Cruiser, and the Bronco. I really don't think there was anything else fitted to this caliber of vehicle that made any significant enough impact to make it worth mentioning.

What do the track width comparisons look like if anyone knows ?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Tom

It should be closest to the current Ford Ranger, can't think of any other products as a good example of what we can expect. Plus it helps that that Ford has been rumored to be developing both the new Ranger and Bronco together. Lots to pull from on the current Ranger. Just another example of an American car maker pulling from its European arm.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Moo

What would make the new Bronco cool is if they stuck with the original Bronco's recipe, just a non-frivolous design where everything has a purpose and is expected to be used. I don't need so many phone and knick knack holders in one car.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Would make it cool but wouldn't make sales. These days, you need those knick knacks and what not to entice people. Just about everything is coming with "luxuries" that people are accustomed to having or really want.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Moo

So we're most likely going to get a large infotainment screen, a lot of buttons on the steering wheel and in the center console. I imagine it to look something like the Expedition's interior, but with more rustic dash materials.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Maybe more like the Ford Explorer since that model is more within the Bronco's expected price range. the layout is clean cut with everything you need clearly displayed compared to the Expedition. Just add a few more buttons or a dial for drive modes and it'll be perfect.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Tom

We also have to look at the Ranger that's currently sold overseas since that's said to have more in common with the Bronco than anything else. At the most fundamental level they'll be sharing a platform.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page