Ford Bronco Gearing Up To Take On The Wrangler - 2020 Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Ford Bronco Gearing Up To Take On The Wrangler

Returning in 2020, the Ford Bronco may employ the same front and rear solid axles found in the outgoing and next-generation Jeep Wrangler.

In an investor presentation this month, Dana revealed that they have won the contract to become the driveline supplier for both the 2019 Ford Ranger and the 2020 Bronco. No surprise there as the company produced the axles for the discontinued Broncos.

Dana Incorporated is an axle manufacturer who is already supplying Jeep with the upgraded axles under the Wrangler Rubicon, meaning the upcoming Bronco could have the same off-road capability as Jeep’s most iconic model. There’s a reason why pretty much every Jeep before the introduction of the Liberty in 2002 had a solid front axle; it’s the tried and true way of squeezing as much off-road capability out of a 4x4 as possible.

According to Larry Vellequette from Automotive News, the original Broncos from 1966 to 1977 had a solid front axle, as did the Broncos produced in 1978 and 1979. What has proven successful in the past can be used again. The upcoming Bronco will have “front and rear axles featuring our latest AdvanTEK gear technology.”

Just look at the Wrangler, the vehicle has been so popular over the years because every generation was designed to include “three main ingredients: confidence, community and customization.” If the 2020 Bronco can use these same ingredients, then the Wrangler may have a fight on its hands.
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM

As much as axles are important. We need to ensure that the surrounding components are also up to par. An electronic locking differential, transfer case, a great abs system for hill descent, etc.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:12 PM

Apparently not!

It is being made by Dana and it is going to be the AdvanTEK gear technology, but it IS NOT going to be a solid axle.

AdvanTEK is a gear technology, not a particular style of axle.

Quote:
Further more, solid axles are good at two things: off-roading and being extremely strong. Conversely, solid axles are not so great at on-road driving. Ever heard of the Jeep “death wobble?” While the Bronco and Ranger would benefit tremendously off-road with a solid front axle, the on-road trade-off is far too great for Ford to okay the idea. What’s more, Ford has confirmed the U.S.-spec ranger will be based off the T6 global Ranger. That pickup uses an independent front suspension design. And since the Bronco will be based off the U.S.-spec Ranger, it too will have an independent front suspension.
Check it out here: Baloney: Ford Bronco, Ranger Getting Solid Front Axle | truck News @ Top Speed

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:43 AM

I think the solid axle assumption came to be since Dana is going to build the Jeep Wrangler and the Bronco axles in the same facility. By going with independent suspension, will that make the Bronco not as competitive in the off roading market?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 AM

It may make it not ass off-road capable, but it will make it a lot more comfortable to drive on regular roads and on your commutes. There's always pros and cons for each.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Moo

If the Bronco wants to appeal to Jeep buyers who wants something more comfortable, then I can see why they're going that route. Everything is up in the air at this point, but I wouldn't mind seeing them compromise a bit of comfort for performance.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 AM

Comfort, I find was always something that the Wranglers lacked to a certain degree. So if they can make the Bronco close to as capable, and have more comfort, I think that's a win in my book.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
Comfort, I find was always something that the Wranglers lacked to a certain degree. So if they can make the Bronco close to as capable, and have more comfort, I think that's a win in my book.
That's what I realized too but its going to be easy addressing that problem since for all we know it could take them releasing a comfort trim that includes things like different shocks, tires, and so on that contribute to a comfortable commuter.

But still, being a Wrangler people are walking up to it expecting not the best ride quality but instead one of the best examples of an SUV in its raw form.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:26 AM

That is true. No one really walks up to a Wrangler and expects comfort out of it. Just the capabilities, and how it really only has the essential features. The suspension speaks for itself. That's why I feel like the Wrangler is something on it's own. It's very bare-bones and transparent.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 AM

The original Bronco wasn't the most comfortable ride out there and people don't expect the new one to divert from the core of the old Bronco. Ford shouldn't compromise performance just for a bit of comfort, whatever performs the best on and off road is really all any Bronco fan needs and if they're going up against the Wrangler then no compromises should be made.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page